Saturday, December 27, 2014

Yamaha LU-90, my one and only piano

Yup, Yamaha LU-90 is the model of my piano. My parents bought it for me in 1997/98 after I have attended piano lessons for 5 years. That time, I was already in my grade 5 when they decided to get me one to practice. How on earth I practiced b4 that? God knows...

That time, this piano was sold to them at RM8580.00. It was a new model but made in Indonesia. That is the reason it was priced cheaper than before. I'm pretty sure my parents did not survey when they bought it coz if they did, they'd sure know about reconditioned piano and would've consider it given it's relatively cheaper price. My dad was always busy working and my mum was lazy to take care of us. All they know is I have been learning yet there was nothing for me to practice on. I was MISERABLE!

Why did I dig this story out now?
It's because I have student looking for a piano now. Her mum said that she has no knowledge on piano and asked if I can help her get one. I, being too honest told her to survey around instead of trusting me straight. My intention was to have her shop around before deciding so that she or her daughter will not blame me later on, like how I blame my teacher. Ok, I don't really blame him but I'd rather he gave few options to my parents instead of asking them to get the LU-90. I was already grade 5 then and he should've known that LU-90 is for beginners and not even an exam standard piano, U1. Now that I'm a piano teacher, I wanna give my students the best options and not making decision for them.

This parent then shopped around and saw a U1 selling at RM5500. They were psyched coz they found a cheap piano so she asked me to help take a look. I went to the shop, saw the piano and tried it out. The shopkeeper, I think who is also the boss, warned me that the piano is not for play or test. Come on, why would a piano seller stop someone from testing the piano if the buyer has intention on buying. It's like stopping a buyer from test driving a car before buying. Will u wanna buy if u're not allowed to test? Well, I can't blame her as the piano is actually a used Yamaha. It was recond, then used and now being sold as 3rd hand piano. Further usage of it will exhaust the hammer and other intricate parts which need to be repaired. Now, that's why this U1E can be sold at RM5500, and still can be further discounted.

As a lesson, if you happen to be the parents looking for a piano for your kids, do trust your teacher and I hope if u are the teacher, please think for the best for your student, not your pocket.

3 comments:

Azlina said...

Hi, can i ask for opinion.do u recommend LU 90 for kids (7 yo) just about to start home lesson piano? Any suggestion?

bummalong said...

Have a Yamaha LU 90PE to sell.

Unknown said...

Swee-Choo gong what's the height for Yamaha LU90PE and price pls