Thursday, December 25, 2014

J - growing up

Suddenly I had this urge to write bout J growing up. Since J was born, we decided to practice attachment parenting. Attachment parenting consist of 3 B's, Baby wearing, Breastfeeding and Bed sharing. Inadvertently, this also mean that he will sleep without hammock, no stroller and no pacifier. Ok, 1 by 1...

Baby wearing = stroller free
If we were to baby wear him, that also mean that he will not be put into a stroller. At first it was fine, coz he was not so heavy then. However when he turned 6 months old and his weight is about 10kg, u start to feel the toll. It's practically carrying a sack of rice! Everytime we go shopping, we will take turn carrying him. I will use the carrier I bought (pognae) and yuan will just carry him with his hand. End up, I will be the one carrying him more coz it's easier on a carrier. We've tried putting him into the stroller but we pitied him coz it seems like he's alone there and he looked scared. Hence, we decided that we will just bear with the weight...

Breastfeeding = pacifier free
One of the thing that will jeapordize ur breastfeeding journey and sabotage ur supply is the use of artificial nipple. That includes pacifier. Since we have decided to breastfed him for at least 2 years, we decided to not use a pacifier. Of course there were time we were afraid what will he do when he wanna latch on but I'm teaching so we bought a pacifier when he's a month old to let him try. It ends up he spat it out and refuse to be pacified. What a smart boy he is. So, there goes the pacifier into the bin.

Bed sharing = hammock free
Hammock was something unfamiliar to me coz my parents did not put me in a hammock when I was young. I had no recollection of any hammock in my house. The only place I saw it was at me aunt's place where she is a nanny and had to take care of few babies. For me, hammock is like a place where u get punished. It is a confined area and u get shaken to sleep. U don't get cuddles and kisses from ur parents. Isn't is sad to fall asleep alone? As a result, I told yuan that I will not use the hammock. It's painful to see J sucking a pacifier and hugged by a cloth to sleep. I'd rather he sucks on my breast, hugs me to sleep. But old people think that it's hard to not use a hammock and a pacifier. I don't mind really, I'll do my best to give the best to J, to shower him with love and care and kisses. So, J is hammock free as well. To him hammock is like a toy.

I'm sure some parents out there will comment on the way I bring J up, but to each his own. Everyone has their own thinking and own way of taking care a baby. This is my way, and I'm influenced by my childhood. I'm not judging, just voicing out my opinion.

Due to attachment parenting, parenting has became harder. Everything has to be done by ourselves. It's indeed tiring and I'm not sure if we can practice the same thing on Kathlyn. We will try to do the same and hope that Kathlyn will be as good as his brother, Jaevyn.

1 comment:

Jim Bauer said...

So long as a child grows to be a productive, thoughtful, and contributing member of society...who is to argue what the method of raising them happened to have been? :)