Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Perspective

Perspective is the way we look at things.

This morning I woke up feeling sad because I dreamt of my grandmother who passed away in 2008. Time flies, it has been 6 years since. Before she pass away, I couldn't imagine life without her but look at me now, still surviving after 6 years. I don't know how I did it but time passes no matter how reluctant u are. So why suddenly "perspective"?

It is few hours after I woke up I thought of what I told my husband few days back. It's about his job as the production engineer. I told him then, that job is a boring job, no sense of accomplishment. Everyday u deal with quantity, how many pcb has been assembled, 100, 1000 or 10000? The only objective in your job is to produce maximum amount of workable pcba in the shortest amount of time. Years will only go by and in the end u realize that ur job has been meaningless. However, today, my perspective on his job changed. It just changed, with nothing to trigger it.

It came to me today that my husband job as the production engineer is like the front line soldier going for battle. He mentioned before that his job is stressful, 1 mistake and he will get the whole batch of scrap pcb. 1 wrong component and the whole batch of pcb is useless. He needs to be highly concentrated in order to not make 1 mistake. Come to think of it, his job is indeed challenging. I mean, how can a front line soldier job be boring? Every morning he wakes up prepare himself to battle. He has to battle with the machine, the operators and his fellow colleagues.

I think it is only today that I realize every job is actually meaningful. It's just how u look at it, ur perspective towards it. I used to look down on people doing sales, I even said that when I went to interview for a sales engineer post. I couldn't accept that people who does that actually get paid more than people who do the technical stuffs. Well, I guess my perspective will change. Honestly speaking,  perhaps I don't have any experience with sales, i still can't figure how their job match their pay.

Another perspective that I suddenly thought of, (well this thing actually got me started thinking on other things) is about being a music teacher. I have been teaching with my own perspective and own expectation on students. Have i ever look at it from the students' perspective? Why must I stereotype them? Thinking that they don't practice is purely due to their laziness just because that was my reason? I think a course should be given on "Perspective". I hope I will be able to do it one fine day. Just keep this simple idea in my blog so I don't forget it.

No comments: