Sunday, February 8, 2015

CNY 2015: 4th bake of the year, kek lapis Horlicks

Never in my life I think I will be able to bake a kek lapis. Since young, people around me has been telling me how hard it is to bake, how tedious and time consuming it is. That's why everyone would rather buy than to bake it themselves. The thing now is, I'm at a place where I do not know where to get nice kek lapis so I have no choice but to bake it myself. I googled and found that the traditional kek lapis require 30 egg yolks! Imagine what u gonna do with the 30 egg whites.... Then, I came across this recipe which only require 10 eggs. Thanks to Guai Shu shu blog. I didn't know if I should follow the original version or healthier version, so I came up with a half half version...

Ingredients:
200g superfine flour
230g Horlicks
120g icing sugar
350g butter
1 can condensed milk (390ml)
9 grade A eggs

Method:
1. Sift the flour and Horlicks, put aside
2. Cut the butter into cubes, add in sugar and cream till pale and creamy
3. Beat in eggs 1 by 1, making sure it's fully incorporated before adding another 1
4. Add condensed milk
5. Lastly add in the sifted flour and Horlicks and mix well
6. Preheat oven at 200 Celsius, set oven to top grill.
7. Prepare baking tin of 9'x9', layer with baking paper and grease the sides with butter
8. Preheat the baking tin for 1 minute
9. Pour in first layer (thicker), approximately 8 small ladle (my ladle size is like a bigger spoon)
10. Bake until slightly brown (about 7 minutes), remove from oven and flatten it and poke using tooth pick if there's any bubbles
11. Repeat the process until batter finishes (bake each layer about 5 minutes)
12. For the last layer, reduce temperature to 160 Celsius, top and bottom grill, for 8-10 minutes
13. Wait for the cake to cool down completely before cutting it

Note:
1. Recipe calls for flour, but I still have superfine flour so I used them, recipe too uses sugar but I have icing, so it'll end up the same
2. I've added Horlicks by 30g because i saw someone commented that the Horlicks smell is not strong enough. You can always use other flavor
3. Grease the side of the baking tin about 1-2cm and grease it repeatedly as it takes up to 1.5 hours to reach the top of the tin
4. Do spare at least 2 hours to make this cake, it is not hard but laborious
5. The cake tastes better after a night or two in the fridge, as the Horlicks small slowly infused into the cake and it won't taste as sweet as freshly baked


Butter cut into pieces
Condensed milk
Sift Horlicks and flour
Butter and sugar ready to mix

Piping hot lapis from oven

Horlicks lapis ready to cut

No comments: