Thursday, January 29, 2015

CNY 2015: 1st bake of the year, Almond Crisp

It's this time of the year again... I told yuan last year that I am not going to bake this year coz it's just too tiring for me. Furthermore, I'm expecting another baby, my body might not able to stand too long... But, blame it on my itchy hand. I can't help but to bake after seeing so many posts online. So many people baking and it's making me hungry!

This afternoon, I made Yuan bring me to the baking ingredient shop to buy ingredients to bake. I've decided to kick off my baking with Almond Crisps. This recipe is easy as there is this premix powder, and all you have to do is mix it with nuts of your choice. Initially, I wanted to bake with almond but looking at the price of it, it's wiser to mix with other nuts, eg. Pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, peanuts flakes, etc.

Here's the recipe:
100g florentine premix
200g nuts (almonds, pumpkin, sesame, etc.)

1) Mix florentine and nuts in a bowl
2) Place baking paper or parchment paper on baking tray
3) Spread the mixture on the baking paper. Make sure the layer is level
4) Place it into the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes at 160 Celsius
5) Take it out when it's light brown. Cut it immediately while it's hot cause it will harden when cool.

Note:
1) Spread a thin layer if u do not want your crisps to be too sweet
2) Make sure to take the crisps out when it's light brown, not brown. It gets burnt easily
3) Some people pour 1/2 of the mixture on tray, then nuts then another 1/2 of the mixture again. Whichever way you do it, make sure where there is powder, there must be nuts and vice versa

Baking in progress 

Cut it into pieces while it's still piping hot

This is how 1 piece looks like
Total yield for 300g powder (of course, some extras went into my stomach)



Happy Baking!
Ps: I'm a novice baker, if I can do it, so can u!

No comments: